In the digital age, your user interface (UI) mobile app design must be able to offer a delightful experience to gain a competitive edge in the marketplace. According to Statista, mobile apps will accrue $613 billion in revenues by 2025. So, for your mobile app to be significant, it must have features such as an appealing design to influence the mind of customers.
User interface (UI) design plays a key role in your mobile app’s user experience and overall success. So, let’s understand what the terms mean and why your UI mobile app design matters.
What Is UI in Mobile App Design?
UI stands for user interface, and it has to do with how users interact with your mobile app. The user interface design can contain items like controls, buttons, blocks and more.
The primary goal with user interface design is to offer an enjoyable experience — making it both effective and easy to interact with the user. The UI design process, color selection, company branding and the latest design principles are important factors to consider when creating a mobile app.
Another part of mobile app design you’ll see alongside UI is user experience (UX). Both UI and UX tend to go hand in hand, increasing the ease of usage. Additionally, it can impact the users’ perception of your business’s value.
UX must be concise and easy to use when turning users into raving fans.
Importance of UI Mobile App Design
UI mobile app design matters to users because a poor design is frustrating to them — and it can be the downfall of your app. Moreover, it can have a significant influence on emotional connections.
Allowing for an intuitive design means users can navigate your app easily. In addition, users want to access information as easily as possible. So, it would help if you were aiming to give them all details without inconveniencing them. That way, they don’t have to reach out to a representative or waste time figuring out how to navigate.
An excellent user interface provides users with action, so it helps them achieve a goal.
With UI mobile app design, you should make it as simple as possible regarding the user goals.
Here are a few other key reasons UI design matters in mobile apps and usability:
- Captures the users’ attention: The first few seconds of opening the app will impact the users’ impression. These first seconds are crucial as it influences the users’ decision on whether they’re going to keep it or leave. The other deciding factor is its engagement. If users find it interactive, they’ll keep using it repeatedly.
- Saves time and money: UI mobile app design can significantly improve discoverability. Plus, customers will be keen to use your application. If your product is flawless, it won’t require frequent updates, saving time and money in the long run.
- Enhances customer satisfaction: When the UI design in your app impresses the customer with compelling content and easy navigation, users will enjoy the overall experience. As a result, customers will leave great ratings and share recommendations with others. In turn, this leads to an increase in customer satisfaction and an increase in your return on investment.
- Boosts branding and reputation: On top of satisfying users’ needs, your UI design will foster customer loyalty. Therefore, your brand and reputation will rise because they establish a customer relationship.
What Are the Excellent User Interface Qualities?
While UX design is not as visible to the user, the interface is since it’s the first thing they see. Here are some of the best qualities a UI designer will include in the mobile app:
- Responsiveness: Speed is an important factor here. The user interface shouldn’t lag or appear slow to the user.
- Clarity: UI design should be able to avoid confusion for the user. In this instance, the interface should be clear through visuals and copy. Mobile apps with good interfaces also don’t need to be extensive with the onboarding process either. Users should already be familiar with how the app works.
- Familiarity: The app’s interface should include standard features, so it’s easy for users to find and navigate through the app. Familiar features include common symbols and icons with colors to convey a message.
- Consistency: Maintaining a consistent interface across the application allows users to recognize usage patterns. Once users learn how certain features work, they can apply them when adding new features.
UI Mobile App Design Principles to Follow
With numerous apps available today, it’s key to be unique while capturing the users’ attention. Although this can be quite challenging at times, there are UI design principles to follow that’ll help you stand out from the competition.
- Focus on user emotions: Instead of creating an app to share brand information — utilize a combination of texts, graphics and visual layouts to offer a unique experience. The visuals play an important role in touching emotions. Therefore, they should provide compelling stories, so they resonate with your users.
- Creative vs. common patterns: Visual appeal, color and patterns can effectively grab user attention. However, it can also interfere with usability. The simple rule is to incorporate common designs whenever possible to avoid confusion.
- Simplify navigation: Users will uninstall the app and quit using it if navigation requires too much effort. Consider aiming for the fastest and easiest route to help users get to where they want to go.
UI Design Trends to Look For in 2022
As time goes on, UI tends to capture more attention. So, it’s more important now to stay on top of the latest industry trends. As you do so, you’ll find that this gives users what they look for in a mobile app.
Continue innovating and building successful apps with the following trends below.
Imagery that you see in apps, such as pictured products, is created to be viewed on a small scale. So, accommodate smaller screens and tablets by allowing users to interact with imagery through animations, zooming and pinching. This feature will offer users a cohesive experience and unify the app’s design.
Asymmetry in the layout centers the focus on certain elements in the app. Often, users’ eyes move in a certain direction to process visual information. One thing you might notice in 2022 is designers are avoiding a polished look. Instead, they’re creating asymmetrical designs on galleries and menus to align with the audience’s visual flow.
Using this design can strengthen your brand’s unique identity and capture your audience’s attention through disruption of patterns.
Abstract Patterns and Circles
Circles and spheres are omnipresent patterns that appear soft and inviting. In 2022, you’ll see many are incorporating circles into backgrounds and imagery. While giving way to a quirky, abstract design, your brand will add some personality and create more depth.
Vertical and Diagonal Text
One app design trend you’ll certainly notice in 2022 is copy layout. UI designers create text designs that flow vertically and diagonally to engage users and challenge them with traditional text.
In-App Animation and Video
In 2022, 86% of businesses will continue to use video as a marketing tool, according to Wyzowl. For many mobile apps, this is still a trend that continues to take over. Motion in apps is booming because they’re engaging and can be effective in user communication.
Incorporating UI Mobile App Design
Once you have the proper usability in your mobile app, the personality of your interface will draw out the next level of experience for users. Although the design of an app can lure a certain appeal, it’s the ability to help users reach the goal that encourages them to stay. Remember, a mobile app thrives more when it solves users’ pain points, is concise and provides a pleasant experience.
Leave a Comment